The world is currently facing a growing pollution problem that is mostly caused by plastic production, but why?
Our traditional model of production was based on a linear economy, which means that products were not designed to be reusable nor repairable or even composed to be later recycled.
After consumption, these products were then automatically considered as waste by the user, finishing their life in landfills. Due to globalization and mass production, the amount of waste generated per year in the world increased drastically, inevitably polluting our environment. Our linear economic system has reached its limit.
So what ?
We revised our copy. Can we indefinitely pollute in a finite world ? The answer is no.
We built a bridge, that missing piece, that would transform the linear economy into a loop system, where no waste remains, by re-injecting into the process, the materials already used. Thus was born, the circular economy.
TO CIRCULAR ECONOMY.
The thrilling part is that this bridge can take many forms.
– Recycling: by melting raw materials of the products and creating a new one.
– Reusing: by taking a part of a damaged product to repair another one
– Valorizing: by creating energy from fuel-based products
and so on. It is an open door for innovation and great hope for a sustainable future.
This is how the TONTOTON idea came to life. We believe in a WIN-WIN-WIN solution for ocean plastic pollution, one that includes diverse benefits and a blue circular economy benefitting all: the environment, the society, and businesses.
– Environment; by protecting ecosystems from plastic pollution, reducing landfilling and CO2 emissions
– Society; by providing to local communities work and knowledge in this new market
– Businesses; by becoming more sustainable, reducing your plastic footprint, and providing your consumers with peace of mind that you are making walk your talk.
TONTOTON: a zero waste solution
The collected plastic waste is brought to our partner, a certified cement plant, that will use it as an Alternative Fuel and Raw Materials (AFRM) in their co-processing system. Why?
– The energy produced by the waste is used in the cement factory to replace fuel oil that would overwise be extracted from our environment. We, thereby, work for the conservation of non-renewable fossil fuels and natural resources, but also reduce CO2 emissions.
– The leftover ashes produced by burned waste is reintroduced in cement as a raw material.
This waste treatment offers a zero-waste solution that is in full compliance with the Basel Convention Technical Guidelines.
At TONTOTON, we design a neutralization plan for a specific product or more, to reduce Plastic Footprint for companies.
For example, if your company wants to produce bags made of plastic, our team will evaluate the overall amount of plastic from the production, to determine a plan to make the production plastic neutral. We will collect an amount of ocean-bound plastic equal to this plastic footprint production, on the behalf of your company, making each of these bags a “Plastic Neutral Product”.
To know more
World Economic Forum
Ellen Macarthur Foundation